Monday, May 23, 2005

There We Were

I started my job with Roundabout Theater today. As I was getting ready I commented to Nathan & Elizabeth that it felt like the first day of school.

As I left I said goodbye to Nathan. He flew back tonight. He’s remains such a strong, encouraging, loving support to Elizabeth. He’s so proud of her and the way she’s chasing her dreams. Evidence of his support are everywhere…every corner of her life.

I confess, I’m a little jealous.

Elizabeth saw him to the airport and came down to Times Square to meet me when I got off work.

There have been so many moments when I wished our lives were a reality TV show. Seeing her, red-eyed, walking down 7th Ave toward me was one of those moments. Not to exploit her, Nathan or me but it would’ve made a helleva TV close-up. She walked up to me, smiled.

I said, “How ya doin’, kiddo?”

She nodded.

I hugged her and she started crying.

And there we were….smiling.

Crying.

New Yorkers pushing by us.
Tourists starring around us.

Cab horns blaring at everyone but us.
But there we were…two friends standing in the middle of Times Square - with dreams in one hand and faith in the other.