Friday, May 13, 2005

I Spy With My Little Eye

This was just one of those days that you love New York…especially if you’re connected in any way to the theater world. But more on that in a minute…

My New York Guardian Angel (Damon) called me about a job listing in the Village Voice. The Strand bookstore off Union Square is hiring and the job description sounded like it would suite me perfectly.

Completed resume in hand, I went down and filled out an application and spoke with one of the managers. They looked over my resume and said they would be in touch. I feel great about my resume and the application. A surprise twist came on the backside of the application where they ask you to match up the last name of 10 authors with 10 books. I recognized all of the author’s names but when it came down to it I could match only half of them. I knew their work. I’ve sold their books, read their books, shelved their books, etc.

We’ll see how badly that works against me. Still, it felt good to be out and officially job hunting.

Tonight I had the last of my pre-move show tickets for the Off-Broadway musical, Altar Boyz. On the way to the theater, as I walked up Broadway, I passed Broadway’s latest golden-kid: Cheyenne Jackson. He’s starring in the new musical, All Shook Up. Using songs from Elvis Presley’s catalog, All Shook Up tells the all-new story of a square little town in the middle of a square state in the middle of a square decade where a lonely young girl dreams of hitting the open road. Into her life rides a guitar-playin' roustabout who changes everything and kick-starts a hip-swivelin', lip-curlin' musical fantasy that will have you jumpin' out of your blue suede shoes (I haven’t seen the show yet, this is the synopsis from the show’s official website).
He’s like 6’ 3” and has piercing blue eyes. It’s hard not to recognize him when you pass him on the street.

Visit:
www.cheyennejackson.com and www.allshookup.com

As I crossed over Broadway I found myself walking beside Cherry Jones, the Tony-nominated actress of the Pulitzer Prize winning play, Doubt. I haven’t seen Doubt yet but it has been universally praised and I look forward to catching it some time soon. I am a fan of Ms. Jones’ work. My dear friend Arnold took me with him to see her in the play Major Barbara a few years ago and I’m very familiar with her film work in Erin Brockovich, The Horse Whisperer, The Perfect Storm, and The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.

Visit:
www.doubtonbroadway.com

I arrived at Dodgers Theater a little early and was thrilled to discover I had a great 3rd row seat (at ½ price!). Altar Boyz is just pure fun from beginning to end. It is a one-act musical about 5 guys: Mathew, Mark, Luke, Juan and Abraham who form a boy-band. Using bubble gum music they seek to appeal to the masses on behalf of the Lord.

Visit:
www.altarboyz.com

Afterwards, leaving the theater, I noticed that Broadway composer Stephen Schwartz had also been in attendance. Mr. Schwartz is the composer behind films like The Prince of Egypt, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas and musicals like: Pippin, Godspell and the current Broadway MEGA-musical, Wicked.

Visit:
www.stephenschwartz.com
I got on the train and headed home thinking…only in New York.