Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Cryin' Time

It was just one of those days today.

I had my first interview with a job placement place this morning at 10:00 with another interview scheduled for 2:00pm.

I was on the way to the first appointment, changing trains at Grand Central station, when I stopped to double check my mini-subway map. As I took my little map card out of my wallet my subway card caught wind and flew out of my hand.

It was a month card that cost $76. I was speechless watching it fly onto the tracks. As I told my mom, money is so tight right now that I was going to jump on the tracks to get it back. Just when I planned to make the jump, the 7 train pulled into the station.

It was a lost cause. It felt like I had thrown money into the air.

As I got on the train I just resigned myself to the lost. I could cry or I could suck it up and deal with it…and believe me, crying was the option I was leaning towards. Instead, I just plowed ahead.

I went to Bryant Park to check my email before my 10:00 appointment. I called to check in with them and double check their address. I told them about my driver’s license being taken at the DMV and that ended up being a huge bump in the road.

Since the DMV took my license, not only could I not even get into the office’s building - they wouldn’t be able to process paperwork or send me out on a job without it. She politely said there was no real reason for me to come in until I had it to use as I.D.

I understood. I was frustrated but I understood.

I felt like I was back at the drawing board. I was trying to do the “right” thing by getting my license and now it was working against me.

As I sat in the middle of Bryant Park looking for spilt milk to cry over, Traci White called. She and her husband Michael P. White (famous children’s book illustrator) are coming into town this week for their anniversary. They are doing to town up big time and they wanted to plan a time to get together.

I talked with her for a bit. She’s really looking forward to the trip and I’m looking forward to seeing some familiar faces from home.

I called my 2:00 appointment and explained to them about the whole driver’s license situation. They understood and said they would get me into the building but I wouldn’t be able to place me for work until I had it.

I went on to the interview. Their offices were on the 33rd floor of the beautiful Chrysler building. It had never been inside it before…muchless UP in it.

It was GORGEOUS. Every inch was beautifully laid out in art deco design. The offices of the placement office sat just above the southeast gargoyle – stretching out with a great view of the city. It was incredible!

I went through the interview process and took several tests (all of which I scored highly on. YEA!) and after 2 hours had met everyone and completed all the paperwork to start working (once the coveted Xerox of my driver’s license is attached).

I left feeling GREAT about everything. Now if I can just get that license so I can get started!

My friend CeCe (Thomas Kennedy) arrived tonight. He took the express train down from Providence, RI and is visiting me for a few days. He wants to check out my NYC digs and take a break from school (having just finished up a mess of Finals).

Tomorrow morning I have another job placement interview as well as an interview with Roundabout Theater. I saw a job listing for Roundabout’s Sales Office today and called left them a message about setting up an interview. Of course, it was right as I was watching my subway card fly away. My message (what I remember of it) was disjointed and rambled on and on. Based on the message I left – I wouldn’t interview me, so I was glad they called.