Saturday, May 21, 2005

Elizabeth is HERE, I'm ALL SHOOK UP because I Have a Job

Elizabeth is HERE!

So is Nathan…

So is CeCe…

So am I.

It’s a FULL house right now.

Yesterday, CeCe hung out in Chelsea while I made the interview rounds. I went to the Placement interview in the morning. It went very well. I didn’t score as highly on their tests as I had the day before, but they were still impressed.

I also had a great interview with Roundabout Theater. They are adding to their Sales Office to work with past and future subscribers. I went through the process of the interview…filled out an application and also completed a theater Q & A.

Later that afternoon they called and officially offered me the position.

I accepted. I will start on Monday afternoon.

Visit:
www.roundabouttheatre.org

To celebrate to wanted to introduce CeCe to Broadway. Though he’s known me for years, seen me in shows, heard me sing, had a working knowledge of shows – he had never been in a Broadway theater or seen a show on Broadway.

We first tried for the new musical with 11 Tony Award nomination, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. They have a lottery 2 hours before every show. If they draw your name – you are on the front row for just $25. CeCe and I both put our names in but didn’t make the cut.

I really wanted to celebrate the new job and having CeCe in town, so we headed over to the TKTS booth in Times Square and I splurged for ½ tickets to All Shook Up. I hadn’t seen it and I had heard good things about it…so, I thought – since apparently I’m acting like money is no object – why not.
CeCe and I were back on the 6 and heading to my apartment. Quick change of clothes and we were back at the theater.

All Shook Up could not have been better. It was a WONDERFUL surprise. It was upbeat, funny, and the arrangements of Elvis’ classics were clever and powerful. There were several moments in the showed that were staged brilliantly. The songs that we’ve all heard sung the same way for years were given a new life. CeCe and I had the best time and the show was a wonderful introduction to Broadway for him.

At the beginning of the show I heard a lady belting away during the second number. I recognized that voice. It was Virginia Woodruff. I don’t know her personally but I remembered her voice from The Color Purple in Atlanta. She is a powerhouse of a performer.

It was great to finally take in Cheyenne Jackson on stage. I’ve wrote about passing him on the street the other day, but this was my first time seeing him on stage. He was absolutely great. He’s the focal point of what is really an ensemble show and I look forward to seeing him on his own. He’s got the looks and the voice.

Visit:
www.cheyennejackson.com and www.allshookup.com

Elizabeth and Nathan hit the road just after 1pm yesterday which put them in NYC around 3am. So, after the show, CeCe and I went downtown to grab some dinner and kill some time before they got here.

Elizabeth & Nathan pulled in and we started unloading the back of their rental SUV. We got everything up and into the apartment and then went to sleep.

We all woke up later this morning and headed out of the city to IKEA. Elizabeth and I both had things we needed for the apartment…especially now that Elizabeth is here and can see firsthand the space we have to work with.

In NYC it is all about utilizing every inch of space you and wasting nothing. IKEA is the perfect company to help do just that. I had never been in an IKEA before but I have heard their praises sung for the last couple of years. We looked at cabinets, storage pieces, wardrobes and Elizabeth got a cool loft bed for her room. Over the next couple of days we’re going to continue getting things in place.

Visit:
www.ikea.com

The trip back from the IKEA was…interesting. Every corner of the Trailblazer was PACKED. We had things tied to the roof and crammed inside. As we crossed the bridge back into the city we started loosing the pieces of Elizabeth’s bed that were on top. We pulled over once we got off the bridge and could find a gas station. We had to take everything off the top and find a way to get them inside.

We did it.

I don’t know how…but we did it.

CeCe and I were folded up behind the driver’s seat and I couldn’t feel my legs…but we did it. Elizabeth took some pictures…so I will post them soon.

We got everything up into the apartment and CeCe and I crashed while Elizabeth and Nathan started putting the loft bed together.

CeCe and I hit the town. It was his last night in NYC and there were a couple of clubs and bars we’d both read about to find. We were on the subway, the street, in cabs and everywhere in between. We took it all in and had a wonderful time making the night a Nightlife adventure.
While I was out on the town I got a call from my dear friend Carolyn Smith in Atlanta. It is always good to hear from people at home. She was out and thinking of me and just wanted to call. Those are the BEST calls!