Saturday, May 28, 2005

On the town...

Elizabeth and I decided to try and see the musical Wicked today. It was an important show in our decision to move to NYC. We’ve both seen it and were wanting to see what it was like with the new cast.

2 hours before each performance of Wicked they hold a lottery for front row tickets. For $25 cash you can be on the front row…right in front of those who’ve paid over $100 for the same tickets. It started with Jonathan Larson – the creator of the musical Rent – wanting his artist friends to be able to see his work at an affordable price. The trend caught on and now a lot of shows do the same thing. In the past I’ve seen some of the hottest shows that way…even Best Musical winners Hairspray and Avenue Q.

Visit: www.avenueq.com and www.hairsprayonbroadway.com and www.wickedthemusical.com

We put our names in for the lottery but lost.

We walked just a few steps over from the Gershwin Theater to Theater in the Square home of the 6 time Tony nominated musical, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. They had a lottery so we thought it couldn’t hurt to put our names in.
So we did.

My name was the fifth named called and for $25 we had tickets.

The show, which I had heard great things about, was great if not better than anything and everything I had heard about it.

Funny and out right hilarious and then…before you know what’s happening, so touching and moving. I LOVED it. I would LOVE to be in that show.

Visit: www.spellingbeethemusical.com

After the show we met up with my friend Sharon Hartman and her cousin. I met Sharon through my work at Peachtree and was delighted to hear that she would be in town this weekend.

Elizabeth and I met up with Sharon and her cousin after they got out of Wicked and we got out of Spelling Bee. It was clouding up but we hit the streets to find a place to grab a quick bite to eat.

Sharon said she had a wonderful idea and want to be the one who introduced us to the beauty of the famed Rainbow Room. We made out way over across town only to discover we weren’t allowed in. They have a strict dress code and my tennis shoes don’t fall into it.
So, we were back on the street and found a great little place, Morell Wine and Bake Shop, where we ordered and shared different dishes and drinks. As we ate the rain began to fall and we were moved inside.

It was SO wonderful seeing Sharon again. She’s so sweet and dear. We love to talk politics and life.

Sharon and her cousin grabbed a cab while Elizabeth and I made a dash for the subway.

The rain pretty much set in for the evening and Elizabeth and I stayed in. We continued organizing the apartment and watched movies.