Friday, May 06, 2005

Feeling Like Home with the Lights ON

I called the power company from a pay phone across the street first thing this morning. They didn’t have a work order in for me and no record of my two faxes – the whole thing was during into a irritating comedy. I was instructed to refax everything (which costs $5 every time I go around the corner to a Cingular Wireless store. We all know he’s pocketing the money, right? But whatcha gonna do?). I walked back to my apartment to get the papers together to re-fax (and brush my teeth). I was brushing away when my cell phone rang and it was the customer service representative from the power company. She was calling to let me know that she’s found all the paper work and that everything was in order. A power technician would be out between 12-5 to get my power back on.

He showed up at 11:20.

I had been instructed to call the building supervisor once the power guy was physically in my building so he (the super not the power guy) could open the basement. There was no getting ahold of the supervisor. He wasn’t home and his phone was going straight to voice mail. The power guy had called him twice I had called him twice. The power guy said he could try and come back later. I had been without power for almost a day and a half…I wasn’t letting the power guy out of my sight.

The Super was tracked down and within the hour my power was back on. With the power restored I turned my music on and got back to the boxes.

I sorted through more boxes and got all the kitchen stuff together. The kitchen boxes were moved into the kitchen, which I thought fitting, and I worked a while in Elizabeth’s room moving things around so you can at least walk in. I’m not sure how Elizabeth will want to set her stuff up but at least she’ll be able to see what’s what. Before I started, the room was solid boxes - floor to ceiling.

I put together the breakfast nook table and was able to open the beautiful area rug given to me by my friends Brian and Kevin. It looks great on the hardwood floors and is making the living room feel more like home.