Thursday, May 26, 2005

No Backdoor? Try the Fire Escape

It was a late night last night for Elizabeth & I. A night that included being locked out of our apartment, rain, scaling the fire escape…ALL at one o’clock in the morning. It was just a crazy experience that made me once again WISH for our own reality TV show.

We’d been having trouble with our lock on the door but hadn’t worried about it because we have a brand new dead bolt keeping us secure. Last night, after running out for a very, very, very late bite to eat – we came home to find that the lock had given up the ghost. The problem was we were on the wrong side of the door when it happened.

At 1am, and after several attempts (attempts that had both of us alternating between the door lock and the deadbolt - trying seperately - trying at the same time, Elizabeth hanging from the fire escape ladder in the rain, ripping her jeans, etc.), we finally knocked on our neighbor’s door. We could hear the TV on, so we were hoping that that meant they were still awake and hadn’t just fallen asleep with it on.

Thankfully, they were awake.

We were incredibly apologetic and they were very understanding - a GREAT match. Though it meant them rearranging their living room, moving their computer desk, and taking down the child safety guard over the window – they were very nice and extremely helpful. Once we could get TO their window and then OUT their window…Elizabeth walked across the fire escape, in the rain, to my bedroom window and crawled in (I’m so glad I had left it cracked a bit.).

I wish I could tell you I was making this up…

We were both very wound up from the events of the trying to get inside…so we stayed up talking, watching TV and enjoying our new wireless internet at home until close to 3am.

It’s now after 11am and I’ve only been up about an hour or so. A late night is meaning a very slow start to my day.

Yesterday was my third night working for the Roundabout. Things are coming along…I’m getting settled in and meeting people. Now that I’m getting into the rhythm of the job I hope to start pulling some money in soon.

Elizabeth & I spent the day yesterday waiting on the cable guy. We didn’t care about the TV as much as we cared about getting online at home. I’m tired on running back and forth to the library but I probably will continue going to Bryant Park as the weather gets better. It has been raining for the last 3 days and we’re both suffering from a bit of cabin fever. You can only unpack for just so long before you need to take a break. He did arrive and he did get us up and running - but the celebration was shortlived. They'd sent us a bum modem. So, on my way to work, Elizabeth rode down with me and spent some more time with the lovely folks at Time Warner Cable getting a new modem as I went on to the Roundabout.

With Elizabeth here, things around the apartment are really coming together. It’s starting to feel more complete. Things are finding their place. She’s cooking in the kitchen right now…making biscuits!

It’s beginning to feel more like home.
P.S. I got my driver’s license today.