Thursday, May 12, 2005

Central Park Escape

Thursday, 5/12
I woke up with my resume on my mind today. I wanted to get it finished and out into the world.

I worked on my resume for over an hour. Got the wording just as I thought it should be when I got a phone call.

Eric DeBord was passing through NYC on his way to Madrid. Eric is friend of Ken’s and now a friend of mine. He lives in Lexington, KY and we met recently when he was visiting Atlanta. I was thrilled to get his phone call. We’d only met once but I was so excited to see someone from home.

Eric came from the airport to the apartment and we got his suitcase settled and then hit the city. I showed him around the neighborhood and we ate at one of my favorite discoveries…Sandy’s. It is a small diner just around the corner from my apartment with the most amazing menu.

Today was, by far, the most beautiful day since I arrived in New York. The weather was absolutely perfect. The sky was a solid blue, the sun was shining strong and the air was cool. We walked through the park – taking it all in.

I showed Eric my favorite place in all of New York City. It isn’t a theater or shop. It is the Bethesda fountain. While we were sitting by the fountain several women asked if I’d take their picture. I did and as I handed their camera back to them one lady asked, “Do you live here?”

“Yes, I do.” Then I smiled. I felt like a New Yorker. A new New Yorker but one nonetheless.

Then I showed Eric the sculpture of Alice in Wonderland. It is a huge bronze sculpture that sits low to the ground allowing children the best access.

From there we walked in the direction of the Great Lawn and along the Reservoir. From the sides of the Reservoir you could see the skyline of the Upper West Side. We made our way past the Guggenheim and headed to the subway on the Upper East Side.

We got back to my apartment so Eric could collect his things. I rode with him back toward the city and got him on the E express train that would take him to the JFK airport. He called later, while I was still underground on the subway, and left me a message that he had made it and was there in plenty of time.
I felt like a New Yorker…again. Twice in one day. I had told him how to get to the airport and he’d made it with time to spare. I’m feeling more and more at home here.