Wednesday, May 04, 2005

The Light in the Piazza & Litte Women

I took a day off from unpacking…well, kinda. I spent all morning separating Elizabeth’s boxes from mine. I hung the curtains in my bedroom and found more sheets.

A couple of months ago I got tickets to a couple of Broadway shows that I wanted to see the week of my move. I knew that I would need a break at some point…so I scheduled it advance.

I went to the matinee of Adam Guettell’s new musical, THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA. It was absolutely gorgeous. Everything about the show…the performances, the music, the staging, the lighting…everything! It is running for a limited time at Lincoln Center Theater and I am SO glad I got to experience it.

Visit:
http://www.lct.org/calendar/event_detail.cfm?ID_event=34551107
On the train ride back to my apartment I struck a conversation with a guy riding the subway who also lives on my street. He welcomed me to the neighborhood and within a few minutes of speaking discovered that we shared mutual friends – which seems amazing in a city of 8 millions.

Tonight, I was back in the theater district to take in the LITTLE WOMEN: The Musical. Based on the classic novel by Louisa May Alcott, the show opened to mixed reviews but I found it very enjoyable. It was my first time witnessing Sutton Foster on stage and I was completely taken in by her strength as an actress and singer. She plays the role of “Jo” and most of the show rests squarely on her shoulders. I really enjoyed the musical score written for this show and think they really did well adapting such a beloved novel to stage. It was quite an undertaking and yes there were some trouble spots but overall I really enjoyed it.

Check out:
www.littlewomenonbroadway.com